My public diary to get me through four years of high school...

Monday, November 28, 2011

Thoughts

So here's what I thought of the other day when I was talking about the Hunger Games.

I was talking about The Walking Dead and I said how entertaining it is. Entertaining. Do we find shooting zombies in the head and watching the blood splatter entertaining? Do we really? Do we find movies, in which people are shot down like animals, entertaining? Do we laugh at suicide jokes?
We read books like The Hunger Games and say... how barbaric. How could people sit and watch other people fight to death and treat it like it's nothing? Well what do we do? What is wrong with our society when all we ask for are mindless, gory movies? Why don't we ask for deep, thought-provoking movies? I feel like so many people these days live with tentative opinions, morals... they don't know where they stand on sensitive subjects. I think it's very important to know what you believe, not just religiously but in every way.

Do you believe in capital punishment?
Do you support the Occupy Wall Street protestors (and not just because it's what your parents are saying)?
Do you really think the government is going to pass a bill that initiates censorship?
Do you believe in censorship?

And you can form these opinions by thinking. You know things by discovering. You discover things by reading - in some form or another. If all of our books are light and fluffy and don't bother to bring forth things deeper than boy-meets-girl... how will we discover?

Maybe I'm just rambling on, being some stupid teenager who thinks they have it all figured out. That's probably it. But oh well... just thoughts... What are your thoughts?

With love and peace,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment